EASy68K  
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: target computer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm 

Hi - now I have found the EASy68K, a project I have been planning based on a 68000 based single board computer can proceed.

What I am now wondering is there a single board 68000 based computer that has on on-board monitor to allow the download of S-format files?

was wondering what are my choices - I don't fancy doing another wire-wrap system

I did spot this board, this kind of thing is what I'm after

http://www.flite.co.uk/flite-flt-68k-68 ... system.htm

any others out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 pm 

Well I got lucky on e-bay UK and picked this up for £30 inc postage - Bargin, still in the wrapper when it arrived.

Has lots of I/O experiments on the board even a ROM writter, printer, 3 color dot-matrix, & some switches.

Specifications :
CPU Motorola MC68000 (8,10,16 MHz)
Main RAM 64 KB (62256 x 2)
Monitor ROM 64 KB (27256 x 2)
Display Unit Personal Computer
I/O Port 1 PI/T (68230), 8255A
I/O Port 2 Printer
Serial Port RS-232C (6850 x 2)
System Clock 8 MHz
DOT Matrix LED 8 x 8 (3color)
Text Tool 28pin x 1
ROM Writer 2764 ~ 27512
System Bus Indicator LED(3Ø) x 12
Operation System Software 68000 Assembler
Support Memory System Personal Computer
Expansion Connector System Bus 40pin x 2
External Interface 20pin x 1
Board Size (mm) 270 x 210

See that short ribbon cable on the board, unplug that and the onboard PI/T 68230 I/O ports can be taken off to real-world devices etc. I'm going to add a modem so I can dial-up my application and control/interrogate it remotely.....

The next few months should be fun developing my 68K application using EASy68k, then download the S-record code onto my new toy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:25 pm 

Good deal.

You can use the Dumb Terminal program from the example page to connect to your real 68K :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:10 am 

One of the first things I would do is write a new BIOS that replicates as many of the EASy68K TRAP #15 calls as possible. It will make developing code for it much easier.

Did you get documents, schematics and a monitor listing with it?

Lee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:45 pm 

The kit came with all the documentation, and software, have the board schematics, circuit diagrams, pin-outs, etc ... The PC software has a terminal comms program (like dumbterminal) to accesses the onboard monitor it can also download Motorola S-format files - obviously I can then burn a new set of ROMS for the board.

The monitor provided is documented the with all the usual monitor type commands and its own TRAP#14 codes detailed - not as extensive as the EASy68K, but a good chunk of them - unfortunately no source listings for the onboard MIDAS monitor.

Although I did find on the net a 68000 assembler listing for a monitor called "zBug" which could form the basis of a new BIOS and I could re-code for the EASy68K TRAP #15 commands that would indeed make my future project code development simpler to develop ..... and the listing of TUTOR 1.3 ROM program could also help with that task :lol:

Trouble is one 68K SBC may not be enough for what I have in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:54 am 

Quote:
unfortunately no source listings for the onboard MIDAS monitor

Perhaps then the first thing to do is make a dump of the monitor. Something simple like an ASCII hex dump of it with two characters per byte or even an S record dump if the monitor can do it.

Reverse engineering it shouldn't be too hard, I wouldn't be suprised if not all 64K is used.

Lee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:45 am 

True - I have a binary in the form of an assembler listing made up of 100's lines of DC.L commands. Its an Image of the DCODE68K one line disassembler - so I could use that to decode, or even the MIDAS monitor itself has a built in disassembler.

The MIDAS monitor has a "TUTOR>" prompt so its probably based on the original motorola monitor.

Anyway I have had my desk lamp switched on and off using the PI/T a 4.7K resistor and an opto 22 solid state relay .... I was entertained for all of 5 minutes!!!!

What I really want to do is get cracking on writting some FFT and recursive digital filter code. I'll need to implement some floating point code first - until I get a deal on a 68881. There is one on ebay but its > £50, so I will wait til a bargin comes along, then I can connect it to my board and then speed up my DSP code .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:11 am 

Are you looking for the Motorola Tutor source code? There is a version for the EASy68K posted in the Examples area. You can find information about the Motorola Educational Computer Board (which uses Tutor) at http://www.easy68k.com/paulrsm/mecb/mecb.htm.