EASy68K  
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 pm 

Received via email.

Put an option switch in that essential turns off all of the helpful aspects of the assembler and enforces strict adherence to the rules. No structured assembly, immediate operands must be properly indicated, operation size must be properly indicated and an immediate operand's size must match the size indicated in the op-code. Thus, you strip it down to an assembler that strictly enforces the 68K assembly language coding standards and rules. I would keep macros, operand arithmetic and other assembler functions that have traditionally been part of an assembler, and disable everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:03 pm 

Sounds like a bunch of make work.

Perhaps what's really being asked for is a "lint" type syntax checker.

The current EASy68K assembler seems quite effective at rejecting bad instructions. While I don't personally care for the structured stuff, the MACROs have been available since day zero in everything smarter than a line assembler.

Just about every assembler has it's own rules, nuances, and pass strategies. Many in fact have the ability to recognize operations with multiple legal opcode encoding, and pick the most efficient. The ability to infer the desired operation is something very important for a flexible assembler.

What standard/rules?
http://www.easy68k.com/paulrsm/doc/m68kmasm.txt

Many legal/standard encodings assume WORD sized operations, which would not be entirely obvious to someone thinking they have a 32-bit architecture.

Freescale/Motorola has this assembler

http://cache.freescale.com/files/archiv ... ASMBLR.zip

http://cache.freescale.com/files/archiv ... SS_SIM.zip

How about a relocatable object format, and linker? Or one that provides cycle estimates in the listing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:22 pm 

I understand the purpose for the request but I basically agree with you Clive. Many people don't realize that structured assembly has always been part of the 68000. Along with the other assembler optimizations.

I expect my students to understand how to create loops using CMP and Bcc but I also allow them to use the structured syntax. Teaching the details of a particular assembler has very little value to the students. Getting them to understand programming from a different perspective is much more important. We can talk about how C++ performs functions calls but it doesn't really sink in until the students write an assembly language program that does the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53 pm 

This feature would require a lot of work to implement so unless there is a huge demand I'm going to table the request.