EASy68K  
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem with EDIT68K
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:30 pm 

I have come across a bug in EDIT68K while trying to solve a separate issue with the program. First off the bug.. In the editor options the color setting from the drop down menu is not remembered. If you example you select color 2 and apply, then exit and restart Easy68k that setting is back at color 1 even though the actual colors are from colors 2.

Now for my problem that is related to colors. I have been using easy68k for many years and I have never had a problem with it. However I have recently reinstalled my os (same OS, no new hardware added). Since reinstalling editing in easy68k has become quite slow and laggy when editing in large files. For example if I scroll right down into some asm file it will take me there instantly. However it can then hang while the colors are added. I know from previous use than its normal behaviour for the colors to overlay slightly after but in my case it can take well over a second where it used to take 10ths or second before. It makes things really quite difficult.

I cannot for the life of me find out where the problem lies and to be honest I cannot even be 100% sure the issue is with easy68k and not something else. The only thing I do know for sure is that disabling the color option so no colors are used fixes the issue. this however is not ideal.

I am wondering if anyone else has come across this situation and knows a fix or is this a bug I have somehow triggered in the editor.

Happy Holidays to all, Raz.

Post subject: Re: Problem with EDIT68K
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 pm 

The original color syntax highlighting was very slow on about 1% of Windows Vista machines. It has something to do with the behavior of the RichEdit control used by the editor but I was never able to find a solution. As a workaround I changed the syntax highlighter to only apply color to the currently displayed text if no editing action has been performed for a brief period. That is what causes the slight delay before color is applied. I have not observed slowdowns on Windows 7 or 8.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:34 pm 

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am actually on Win7 x64 SP1 will all updates installed. My previous OS (which I can still boot into) on a separate partition is also Win7 x64 SP1 with all updates. The only difference really being on the OS where EDIT68K preforms well, initial win7 release was installed and then updated to SP1 when it was released a year or so later. This new OS where there are problems SP1 already integrated during install (from official MS win7x64SP1 ISO).

Its really quite annoying because I can reboot and switch OS and EDIT68k acts totally different in each case. From what you say about your already applied workaround I think I can deduce its related to what your saying. It does appear that its trying to highlight text outside the visible area of the editor in my problem OS. I say this because sometimes when I scroll colored text is already there and is not redrawn like it normally would be. Does this give any clues? Is it also possible runtime DLLs are needed and not installed on my new OS to cause this situation?

The ASM file I'm working with is 326kb in size.

Raz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 pm 

I was never able to determine the cause, other than to narrow it down to the richedit control. There is no point in trying to correct the problem in the current source code because C++ Builder is no longer supported. As a future project I may rewrite EASy68K in C#.