EASy68K  
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

Hello,

I just came across EASy68K and I do hope it can help me out.

The background is that I have a test instrument (an RF signal generator from HP) running a 68k processor. The instrument works reasonably well, but I would very much like to know more precisely what's happening. The EPROM code is downloaded and I have also extracted calibration parameters from an EEPROM.
What I would very much like to do is to set up an environment where a certain (a few different, possibly) address space is allocated to ROM, a certain address space is allocated to RAM and - I believe, but not certain - some address space to I/O. Most likely, the I/O space could be configured as RAM if it is possible to manipulate separate memory locations during run time.

I have the ROM (Adress 0x00000 to 0xfffff) and the EEPROM (address 0x14000 to 0x15000) and believe I know where RAM is addressed. These are all binary dumps and I have very limited experience with assembly code.

Ideally, I would like to set up L68 and S68 files so that I can start running the simulator and get a dump of the mnemonics that are processed and what state the different registers are in. It would be much simpler to follow what is happening (although somewhat tedious perhaps...)
Is this possible (set up a complete environment)?

I expect the simulation to run into some trouble when accessing external hardware and I would probably have to set breakpoints in the ROM address space. It would also be necessary to be able to manipulate the data where I/O is communicated (if it can be run as RAM).
Is this possible (set breakpoints at certain memory locations and then manipulate RAM)?

Any hints and - very much appreciated - hands on examples on how to configure memory and breakpoints would be great!

I have disassembled the ROM data using CUTTER and RADARE2, but it is still quite difficult to follow the code...

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Staffan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:47 pm 

Staffan wrote:
What I would very much like to do is to set up an environment where a certain (a few different, possibly) address space is allocated to ROM, a certain address space is allocated to RAM and - I believe, but not certain - some address space to I/O. Most likely, the I/O space could be configured as RAM if it is possible to manipulate separate memory locations during run time.

The EASy68K simulator contains memory map options. From the simulator select View/Hardware. The Memory Map section is where memory may be configured.

Staffan wrote:
Is this possible (set breakpoints at certain memory locations and then manipulate RAM)?
Yes, see Help/Simulator Operation/ Advanced Break Points. Memory may be viewed and modified in the Memory Window. Select View/Memory.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:25 pm 

Hello,

Many thanks for the fast reply, now I (believe I) understand!

Great job, looking forward to work with it!

Regards,
Staffan