EASy68K  
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:55 pm 

Has anyone tried to run it on Linux using wine?? It works flawlessly, except for copy&paste, which does not work. Please, try it with las version, 1.1.1. Can anyone confirm this?? I have Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 and wine-1.1.1
There's also some strange behaviour: sometimes, when writing code,pressing Tab key makes the application not only to put a tabulator, but to start a new line.
I think it would be really good to have it working on Linux, since it can be used at the University.

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:25 am 

Location: Monroe County Community College, Monroe Michigan, U.S.A.
There are some bugs in the wine clipboard. Check out the following:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=550132

Other users have reported success running EASy68K in wine:
http://www.easy68k.com/EASy68Kforum/vie ... light=wine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:37 pm 

I wonder if porting it to Linux using winelib would be good. The only problem I see are VCL libraries, which are Borland's, and had been ported to Unix, but then discontinued, some years ago. Code would be essentially the same. If I get to work with VCL libs on Linux some way (wine should have some utils to achieve it) then I think I would be able to do it myself, and then I would send the patches, of course.

One more thing: I have discovered that Copy&paste works well on other applications, it just doesn't work with Easy68k, so I think it may have something to do with the implementation, and could probably be fixed from your side. I have to test it further, with different versions of wine and Linux, but as for now, it has always worked for me.

One important thing is that sometimes I get the sources assembled but new lines are not recognized by the simulator. I have to reopen the source file to get it properly simulated, since those new lines are simply ignored at runtime. I think that the Editor is running into trouble for some reason with line ends and Copy & Paste. Does this happen also in Windows?? It would be strange if it happened.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:12 pm 

tshade wrote:
I wonder if porting it to Linux using winelib would be good. The only problem I see are VCL libraries, which are Borland's, and had been ported to Unix, but then discontinued, some years ago. Code would be essentially the same. If I get to work with VCL libs on Linux some way (wine should have some utils to achieve it) then I think I would be able to do it myself, and then I would send the patches, of course.

Check out this link:
http://www.easy68k.com/EASy68Kforum/viewtopic.php?t=92

tshade wrote:
One more thing: I have discovered that Copy&paste works well on other applications, it just doesn't work with Easy68k, so I think it may have something to do with the implementation, and could probably be fixed from your side. I have to test it further, with different versions of wine and Linux, but as for now, it has always worked for me.

The editor in EASy68K works correctly in Windows so the problem is with the Wine emulator. EASy68K uses a RichEdit control for the main edit window. I'm not surprised that Wine has difficulty with a RichEdit control they are not very well behaved.

tshade wrote:
One important thing is that sometimes I get the sources assembled but new lines are not recognized by the simulator. I have to reopen the source file to get it properly simulated, since those new lines are simply ignored at runtime. I think that the Editor is running into trouble for some reason with line ends and Copy & Paste. Does this happen also in Windows?? It would be strange if it happened.

There are no such problems that I am aware of when running in Windows.

EASy68K is a Windows application. I am not surprised that there are some compatibility issues when trying to run it in Linux. I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion about Windows vs Linux. Windows is free for most college students so the simple solution would be to run EASy68K under Windows. If you only have 1 computer then put VMware on it and run both Windows and Linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:46 pm 

At the time of this writing the latest Beta version of Wine does a good job of running EASy68K. The stable release of Wine has some bugs in it that prevent EASy68K from working correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:21 am 

One thing: I have discovered that Copy&paste works well on other applications, it just doesn't work with Easy68k, so I think it may have something to do with the implementation, and could probably be fixed from your side. I have to test it further, with different versions of wine and Linux, but as for now, it has always worked for me.

Check out our complete collection of Intel tutorials and Rockefeller University guide on Adobe Photoshop essentials. Join Art Institute of Las Vegas web designing course to become expert in web designing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:14 am 

Check out our complete collection of Intel tutorials and Rockefeller University guide on Adobe Photoshop essentials. Join Art Institute of Las Vegas web designing course to become expert in web designing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:02 am 

Just installed EASy68K on CrossOver 15 on a Mac (El Capitan).

As with the other reports here, Copy & Paste doesn't work--even within the same window.

Text copied in EASy68K can be pasted into a Mac application text window, so it would appear that the problem is with Paste in CrossOver.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:37 am 

The editor in EASy68K has some crazy code to work around bugs in the Richedit control which is the base of the editor. No doubt some of that crazy code is not being implemented correctly in the emulators.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:30 pm 

profkelly wrote:
The editor in EASy68K has some crazy code to work around bugs in the Richedit control which is the base of the editor. No doubt some of that crazy code is not being implemented correctly in the emulators.

Bummer. CrossOver apparently has "bottles" that provide different versions of the Windows environment. Is there a particular Windows version that EASy68K is happiest in?