EASy68K  
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:12 am 

Just a little fun topic for discussion amongst the different members here.

It seems lots of us use 68K for different reasons, I see lots of academic reasons (i.e. learning / teaching in a professional educational setting), quite a few that are interested in the hardware side of things (making 68K computers themselves), then of course there are the game programmers and the retro computer fans (Amiga, Sega, Pure 68K).

What do you think is the most prevalent use of 68K assembly among enthusiast these days? Enthusiasts being people who actually want to use 68K and seek out projects with it, not legacy / embedded systems that are out there that have never been updated!

I think the Amiga programming side has a fairly large following, that seems to be what the largest proportition of my search results relate to whenever I'm looking something up online. Of course this could be bias as I am normally looking up something gaming related with it (however it is the Sega Megadrive I'm interested in which seems to have less of a following than the Amiga at a programming level).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:50 pm 

This may be a bit of a Debby Downer answer, but with other cheap and easily accessible microcontrollers (like the Atmel chip in Arduino and the ARM chip in a Raspberry Pi) is there any great benefit for using the MC68k for new projects? I bet that if an Arduino/Pi equivalent (both in cost and easy to use development software) was created that the MC68k would see greater popularity.

I am interested in it because it is integrated into a car's ECU that I want to learn about. This motivated me to learn assembly code (I wrote a disassembler and have spent lots of time reading, labeling and commenting assembly code- by now I realize that this is a life-sucking hobby) and I will soon be patching in my own components.