EASy68K  
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: XP vs Vista
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:05 pm 

WOW

Yet another reason not to use Vista.

I do all my development and testing work on a Windows XP machine. Today I loaded up EASy68K on my 1 Vista equipped computer to do a little editing on a program. The color syntax highlighter is so slow on Vista that it is unusable on programs of any length at all. Here are some timing numbers for comparison:

Windows Vista machine:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 2.00GHz, 2GB RAM
Color syntax highlight EASyZone game 15min, 18sec.

Windows XP machine:
Intel Pentium M CPU 1.99GHz, 1GB RAM
Color syntax highlight EASyZone game 2.45sec

This is one of those things that makes you scratch your head and ponder what in the world Vista could be doing that makes it so slow. If I were trying to make an operating system run existing applications slower I'm not sure how I could make it run that much slower. What's even worse is the fact that EASy68K is using a RichEdit control for the editor and the RichEdit control is written by Microsoft.

After discovering this horrible performance on Vista I thought I'd better make this post to the forum in case any of you are unfortunate enough to be forced to use Vista and might be wondering after seeing the horrible performance of EASy68K's syntax highlighter that I might be the worlds worst programmer. Rest assured that title belongs to the engineers responsible for writing Vista.

I bet we could take the RichEdit control out of EASy68K, load up Lee's EhBasic in the simulator, run a basic program to highlight source files and it would still be faster than using Vista.

If you are forced to use Vista just turn off the color syntax highlighter in EASy68K. Go to Options/Editor Options... Under the Colors tab select Disabled in Color Presets then click OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:33 am 

I would be interested to know where the time is being lost. Is it possible that you're not disabling redraws or something like that? Not that it's your code at fault, but it may be something silly like the new 3D accelerated desktop not being able to handle redraws quickly.

Does Builder have any profiling tools?

Edit: I just had another thought. What if MS screwed up the RichEdit 1.0 wrapper class. As of a while ago, the RichEdit1 dll is simply a wrapper for 2.0, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:43 pm 

The time is all spent in the RichEdit control. No doubt Microsoft has done something stupid in the Vista code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:04 pm 

profkelly wrote:
The time is all spent in the RichEdit control. No doubt Microsoft has done something stupid in the Vista code.

Unfortunately, Microsoft + RichEdit = Stupidity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:00 am 

I tried using richedit 3.0 in the editor instead of 1.0 but it made no difference in performance.

Post subject: Vista speed up
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 pm 

I am close to releasing a new version of EASy68K that fixes the slow color syntax highlight problem in Vista. The new version will only highlight the lines of code that are currently visible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:01 am 

Turns out the color highlight is not super slow on all Vista machines. Two Vista machines tested today highlighted EASyZone in 4 sec. :dontknow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:55 pm 

I wonder if it could be a driver at fault, though I don't see why it would be.

More plausibly, it could be a DLL (or some other kind of) hook.

You may want to pay attention to the kernel + user mode stack of the thread doing the hilighting, and see what appears there. I imagine one of the sysinternals tools would do it, if not the debugger that's built-in to Borland.

Since the problem is not consistent with all versions of Vista, I'd start there. Also see if the two test computers giving different execution times are running the same service pack + patches. It could be MS's fault and they just fixed it at some point.