EASy68K  
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 pm 

I've used EASy68K for several years now along with GCC compiled to generate 68K code. I've done several hours of work and reading this weekend to get GNU make + GNU objdump to spit out a list file in a format that SIM68K can parse during simulation, with the absolute address of each instruction at the start of the line, the correct file extension, and same root file name as the S-record file. I've managed to get to where SIM68K *almost* follows the list file correctly while stepping through code.

I figured out today that the sim "misses" lines (doesn't advance the current line while single-stepping) that have hexadecimal digits A-F in the address somewhere. In comparing the list file output from EASy68K I noticed that objdump outputs hex digits A-F in lower case, and EASy68K in upper case. Further, by editing a short list file output from objdump to change all the lower case digits in addresses to upper case, the simulator followed the list file perfectly while stepping through the code.

So, would you please add the ability in an upcoming release of SIM68K to parse addresses in the list file that have lower case digits a-f in them (make address parsing case insensitive)?

Thank you,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:00 pm 

Location: Monroe County Community College, Monroe Michigan, U.S.A.
I'm not going to have time to work on this.

Perhaps you could write a program to convert the addresses to upper case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:41 am 

Certainly. Writing a quickie program was my thought for the short term, as well, even if you had said yes.

Thanks,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:27 pm 

Location: Monroe County Community College, Monroe Michigan, U.S.A.
Added to Sim68K v5.12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:45 pm 

Quote:
Added to Sim68K v5.12

Thanks for doing this. When I get some time I'll try to put together some sort of howto for using Sim68K with GCC. As an Embedded Programmer who works mostly in C I find it's always important and instructive to look at the machine code the compiler generates.

Thanks again,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 pm 

maalper wrote:
Thanks for doing this. When I get some time I'll try to put together some sort of howto for using Sim68K with GCC. As an Embedded Programmer who works mostly in C I find it's always important and instructive to look at the machine code the compiler generates.

See also IDE68K, it has an integrated C compiler. Immediately solving a lot of problems. It also supports 68020 and 6888x FPU's.

The general problem I've had with importing the output of Aztec or OASYS compilers, or more specifically linkers, is that I only end up with S-Record, and the listing are mostly useless as inputs. Primarily due to things being in sections, relocatable, and linked, rather than monolithic linear chucks.

A better solution might be just to import S-Records, or object files (ELF/COFF/IEEE695), and have Sim68K just disassemble lines as it encounters them.

Maybe I should clean and publish my listing profiler, which annotates the listings with instruction timings.