EASy68K  
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:49 pm 

Hi Professor Kelly,

Been a while since I've popped my head in but I've still been using EASy68K on and off for the past couple of years and have grown to really like it.

As with everything there are a couple of changes that would make my life easier and I'm at the point now where I think it would be worth the candle for me to go an implement them.

I've instantly hit a wall though since I don't have Borland C++ Builder (I was hoping to get away with using Visual Studio but a quick google shows this isn't feasible).

I haven't had an indepth look at the source code yet to see what my options are but I was wondering you could tell me if the requirement for "Borland C++ Builder 6.0 or newer to compile" as mentioned on the homepage is strictly true? I see that there is a Borland C++ 5.5 - Command-line compiler available for free from Borland (now Embarcadero) and this would likely fulfil my needs for the minor tweaks I've got planned so long as it can compile the projects.

Before I go spend an evening trying to get it to work are you able to say off the top of your head if it should or not? (EDIT - According to this answer on StackOverflow no it won't work.)

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I see in the git repository you've basically dumped the source code as a zip into git. This is... unusual for want of a better word! Normally I'd expect to see all the unzipped / uncompressed source files in there, which then allows you extra abilities like viewing them online and comparing differences between versions. Is there any explicit reason to have it as a zip or was it just a quick way to get the source code up and available to others? (I also see it was just uploaded 3 days ago, I wonder if you expected feedback on it so quickly!? :) )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:13 pm 

RyanFaeScotland wrote:
I haven't had an indepth look at the source code yet to see what my options are but I was wondering you could tell me if the requirement for "Borland C++ Builder 6.0 or newer to compile" as mentioned on the homepage is strictly true? I see that there is a Borland C++ 5.5 - Command-line compiler available for free from Borland (now Embarcadero) and this would likely fulfil my needs for the minor tweaks I've got planned so long as it can compile the projects.

Before I go spend an evening trying to get it to work are you able to say off the top of your head if it should or not? (EDIT - According to this answer on StackOverflow no it won't work.)

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I see in the git repository you've basically dumped the source code as a zip into git. This is... unusual for want of a better word! Normally I'd expect to see all the unzipped / uncompressed source files in there, which then allows you extra abilities like viewing them online and comparing differences between versions. Is there any explicit reason to have it as a zip or was it just a quick way to get the source code up and available to others? (I also see it was just uploaded 3 days ago, I wonder if you expected feedback on it so quickly!? :) )

Borland C++ Builder 6.0 is required. I keep an old Windows XP laptop with Builder 6.0 installed for working on EASy68K. The entire project needs to be updated to a modern language but I don't have time to do that.

The Git upload did not accept drag and drop folders of files so it was quicker to just upload the zip. Again, I don't have time to do much more than that.